Wednesday, February 27, 2013

26

I've been so anxious about Cub Scouts. I didn't want Buddy in the ward scouts. We looked at some other options but in the end doing it with the ward was best. I don't really even want to do scouts, especially not church scouts. I can't explain it, I don't really understand my own feelings. I'm just not comfortable with it. It might have something to do with my HORRIBLE prior experience as a primary presidency person over scouts. That did no go well, I hated it, never knew what I was doing, went to millions of meetings, experienced a power struggle that was so insane I couldn't really fathom what was going on (especially since I didn't want the damn job), and just ended up so relieved when we finally moved and I was DONE. Anyway...here we are. I have an eight year old in cub scouts. The pine wood derby was the day after Buddy's birthday and they invited him to participate and I figured they'd get him registered or get us info. Nope, we just got a car. We participated in the derby and I was horrified by how bad the night went. No organization. I have no idea who was in charge, who the leaders were, who the cubmaster is, nothing! We do scouts with another ward. I felt particularly bad for one boy in our ward. They ran the whole race with him being called the wrong name. He should have won, but did not. They forgot to give him the award that everyone got. (what's with the everyone wins bit? Even in scouts? Seriously, life is not like that. Why do we try to teach our kids that everyone wins?) He should have at least won his age group. His car won almost every heat, but not only did he not win-they plum forgot about him. Ugh. I left that activity so frustrated and really not wanting to participate further. Danni is very much wanting Buddy to do this so he will get to participate. hahha.  Today was his first den meeting (is that what it's called?) He's not registered, doesn't even have a book, but his leader wanted him there anyway. He came home with a registration paper and a sheet of info about what they learned tonight and what is going on the next two weeks and what we need to do at home. I was SO delighted! SO impressed! I was NOT expecting that. It's making scouts seem a little bit better for me. She, at least, is doing the best she can! I'm just really hoping that I don't get a calling to help in scouts. I really have a low tolerance level for it. :)

2 comments:

Danni Waddell said...

Just Remember Scouts is not a church calling so if they DO try to call you its very alright to say no. Not like a normal calling. I think scouts, well, first should never be a calling and second, she all be volunteer based.

Lori said...

I thought Danni and Ryan enjoyed Cub Scouts. They had lots of fun things to do that was geared to little boys and they enjoyed it if they had a spunky teacher. Now Boy Scouts... I do not like that either.